[responsivevoice_button buttontext=”Listen to the Audio Version”]
The lockdown situation that emerged as a compulsory step to curb the Coronavirus pandemic has involuntarily made colleges and companies switch to online exam software and remote proctoring. Think Exam has witnessed high demand for its exclusive remote proctoring software services recently, and here is all that you must know about it!
“E-learning is the future of learning. It’s projected that by 2025, the global e-learning market will reach $325 billion USD. The rapid growth of the e-learning industry has created needs for various supporting technologies.”
Recently the most trending technology in the Ed-tech domain has been online proctoring software. And the main reason for its large adoption is the acceptance of e-learning as a major source to continue academic activities during COVID lockdown. Also, the concept of online courses, certifications, and skill training has gained pace recently and virtual proctoring is the core of it all.
Are you also looking forward to conducting online proctored exams? Here we will discuss everything that you need to know so brace yourself to find out all about:
- – What is Remote Proctoring?
- – What are the challenges with an offline proctored test or online tests without proctoring?
- – What are the different types of proctoring?
- – Who all can make use of online proctoring?
- – How to select the right remote proctoring software?
For the educators, trainers, or teachers who are new to this technology, “Proctored online tests are a mechanism to safeguard the authenticity of the test being conducted from a remote location and prevent it from all forms of cheating via inbuilt features and proctor that monitors the test.”
Whereas, a proctor is an experienced person who holds training in assuring student authentication and preventing the online exam software-based test from all means of cheating.
What is Remote Proctoring?
Remote Proctoring is an advanced level technology designed to enable the candidates to attempt an exam online from any remote location, all the while assuring the reliability of the test. In the beginning, the test-takers need to verify their authenticity after which they are monitored in real-time through webcam. This video is supervised by a proctor who can raise red flags in the case of cheating attempts.
What are the challenges with an offline proctored test or online tests without proctoring?
- – Currently, the global situation is not feasible to conduct offline proctored tests due to limitations on gathering and travel ban.
- – Arranging a fully proctored exam center near every test-takers location is a serious challenge for many examinations conducting bodies.
- – Qualified and experienced proctors are difficult to find and also there is no surety of how well the proctor did his/her job.
- – Restricted availability of test centers and proctors also becomes a major problem and leads to extending the schedule of the test.
- – When an online exam software-based test is conducted without proctoring, a lot many cases of cheating and impersonation come forward. Students are smart in devising a variety of cheating ideas such as referring to books, smartphones, and even using an impersonator to answer their tests.
What is Online Exam Proctoring?
In online proctoring, Online proctoring software is used to monitor the test-takers in real-time with the help of mic, webcam, and screen sharing of the candidate’s device.
To attempt an online proctored test from a remote location, the candidate must have the following requirements fulfilled-
- – A suitable device such as a laptop, desktop, or tablet.
- – Stable internet connectivity with a minimum of 256kbps speed.
- – A functional mic and webcam
- – PC or Laptop integrated with modern browsers
What are the types of Proctoring Techniques?
There are three main types of proctoring method-
1. Live Online Proctoring
In the Live Online Proctoring method, a skilled proctor is responsible to virtually invigilate the candidates through audio-video live view and screen share.
The proctors are stationed in a remote location from where they monitor the entire test. The proctors are accordingly trained to make sure proper student authentication and in case of any cheating attempt they must know how to raise cheat alert. A proctor can monitor a minimum of 16 screens and a maximum of 32 screens at once in a grid view. The biggest benefit of virtual proctoring is that it eliminates all sorts of location/geographical restraints.
2. Recorded Proctoring
In this method of proctoring, a proctor doesn’t invigilate the ongoing test in real-time. Instead, the screen share feeds and audio- video of the test-takers are recorded during the test.
The assigned proctor watch all the recorded audio-videos and screen feeds in a fast forward mode and detects any sort of suspicious activity through remarks.
3. Advanced Automated Proctoring
Automated proctoring also known as AI proctoring is one of the most advanced and recent forms of proctoring. Here also the audio-video monitoring is done and the screen feeds are shared of the test takers and also all of it is recorded during the test.
In addition to all the basic features of proctoring, the AI-based online proctoring software also analyzes any suspicious behavior of the test taker through advanced analytics.
It ensures that the candidate’s attention should be totally focused on the screen during the entire test. Also, the light, background, and sound in the test-takers room are constantly analyzed. In case of any change or addition of an unidentified object such as a mobile phone, book, or paper, the system raises red flags. If the activity persists, the test ends automatically.
What factors influence the growth of Online Proctoring?
The growth in acceptance of online examination system which has directly increased the growth of remote proctoring software is due to the following reasons-
- – Wide growth of e-learning
- – Riddance from expensive proctored assessment centers
- – Save candidate’s money and time
- – Lack of suitable infrastructure or computer labs to conduct exams
- – Increasing focus on work-based training and the alignment of learning and assessments to actual organizational needs
Who all can make use of Online Exam Proctoring?
There are so many assessments providing agencies that deliver ready-made assessments and also test engines to the clients which are integrated with remote proctoring software.
Online Education Providers- Universities, MOOCs
Providers of online education such as schools, colleges, coaching centers, and universities are facing the challenge of maintaining the authenticity of online tests and by using online proctoring software they can safeguard the credibility of their test process.
Certifying Agencies- Oracle, MS, etc
Leading agencies that are the biggest providers of certificates such as Oracle and MS can use online proctoring software for the following benefits-
- – Increasing the scalability of their certificate programs by enabling the students to attend it from home.
- – Expand the addressable market by tapping into new geographies
- – Preserve visual records for on-demand audit
What are the main features to look out for while choosing remote proctoring software?
- – It should be easy to integrate with any existing assessment engine or LMS tool. Think Exam remote proctoring software allows you to pair its proctoring benefits with any of your pre-existing assessment engine.
- – Should be robust and enhanced with basic features such as screen sharing, audio-video live view/reporting, etc.
- – The more AI integrated features the better it is! Proctoring technology should eliminate all sorts of manual activities replacing them with robust automation.
- – It should be able to provide a comprehensive test report highlighting student’s overall performance throughout the test.
What are the disadvantages of remote proctoring?
- – Few of them are expensive charging prices on a per-student basis which can make it inconvenient when conducting large scale exams.
- – It can be a bit uncomfortable for new users as it is a very recent technology. But, then most of the online proctoring software comes with user-friendly interface and support help.
Can candidates cheat during a test that is proctored online?
It is technically not possible for a candidate to cheat during an online proctored test. With so many advanced level features such as candidate authentication, audio-video live view, screen sharing, browser limitation, etc. there are almost nil chances for a candidate to cheat.
What is the Future of Online Proctoring?
Remote proctoring software has become the major support for online courses. Moreover with the drastic impact of COVID-19 on the educational sector and its limitation on conventional classes, online learning, and online exam software has become the mainstream of continuing academics.
The current acceptance of online proctored exams only proves that online proctoring is here to stay for a long time and will only evolve as and when the requirements of users will change.